Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Negi Update - Measuring Small in the Home Stretch

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 18 weeks and have maintained a pretty strict low carb diet. My meals usually consist of protein with lots of veggies, and I reserve healthy carbs for snacking (milk, fruit, etc) between meals. My GD is still diet controlled at 34 weeks, and I don't see myself needing to go on medication. I have been going in for ultrasounds every 4 weeks since my diagnosis.

At my 31 week ultrasound the doctor expressed concern for baby's lower than average weight of 3 lbs 1 oz. Instead of 4 weeks, I had to go in at 3 weeks to check up on baby. In 3 weeks his weight went up to 4 lbs but not enough for the doctor to be happy. Baby is around 5th percentile in weight, which doesn't surprise me since E has always been 5th percentile in weight since birth. So now I'm going in for weekly ultrasounds, and I'm pretty bummed.

Out in the Field

I know not to be concerned about the low weight because Little E was only 5 lbs 13 oz at birth (38 weeks, 4 days). I also had GD but was diagnosed at 28 weeks and only had a restricted diet in my last trimester. His low birth weight wasn't a concern at the hospital. At 2.5 years old he is still in the 5th percentile but healthy and thriving.

So I'm just really bummed that I have to go in every single week for an ultrasound. The doctor I deal with doesn't have the best bedside manners. My regular OB isn't concerned about the low weight, knowing all the factors that can contribute  -- I'm a petite Asian, E was tiny at birth, and I have been on a strict low carb diet for the past 16 weeks.

Stop Along Back Roads

I have another appointment scheduled this Friday. I'm not looking forward to it. Techs can't get a great estimate on weight due to Negi being stubborn. I'm probably going to fall asleep again on the table. I must appear to be an emotionless patient while having ultrasounds performed. I'm just so over it by now and want to be a normal pregnant woman. Sigh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment