Recent Posts

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Maui Honeymoon/Babymoon - Day 1

After a long day of traveling, we were happy to arrive at the condo. H opted for a condo to save money and also gain the convenience of having a kitchen to cook a few meals. We stayed at Napili Bay Resort, and it was right on the beach. I'm a bit bias, but I think we had one of the best views in Maui. By the time we crashed in bed, it was morning time on the east coast. We tried to get a few hours of sleep in before we woke up to the bird's chirping outside. 

Napili Bay Resort
{Napili Bay Resort}

Napili Bay Resort
{view from our balcony}

Lahaina
{local weather}

In the morning we went out to the beach and took in our beautiful view. It was simply paradise for us, and I felt so lucky to be able to call this home for a week. The weather was perfect, and the extra sun therapy was much needed. The first day would be low key for us, and we only had a luau planned for the evening. The rest of the day was spent discovering, and we had so much fun driving around.

Napili Bay
Napili Bay Napili Bay
{Napili Bay}

Food is a must for us, and I heard great reviews about the Honolua Store. It is part of the ABC chain of convenience stores, which also offers cafeteria style food in the back. We may have visited almost everyday on our trip because we couldn't get enough of the affordable good eats. It also helped that the Honolua Store was right around the corner from us. H's favorite was the loco moco.

Honolua Store
{Honolua Store}

Honolua Store for Brunch
{Moco Loco, Shrimp Omelet, and Spam, Bacon & Egg Musubi}

Next we checked out the grocery store closest to our condo. We enjoyed finding local specialties and comparing what the stores had to offer compared to back home. Prices were very reasonable, which I found a bit surprising. I just assumed that everything would cost more on an island, but I was wrong for the most part. The only expensive product I found was Annie's gummy bunnies (I know it's an odd product to even notice) at around $7 a box. I can find it at Target for around $3 - $4.

Shopping at the Grocery Store
{grocery shopping & finding special soda}

Driving around aimlessly is what we do best, and it's even more adventurous in Maui. We made a few stops along the way to relax and admire the view around us. Sometimes I wanted to pinch myself to make sure that I wasn't in a dream. How did I deserve such an amazing trip with the love of my life right beside me? 

Maui Honeymoon/Babymoon
{pit stop to check out the view}

Maui Honeymoon/Babymoon
{pretty Maui}

Being the crazy photo obsessed people that we are, we had film (instant and regular), a DSLR, and iPhones to capture our trip. So just imagine H pulling out his tripod to take photos with both his cameras. Then I whip out my Fuji Instax and take a picture or two while having my phone on hand to take even more photos. Yup, we're those type of tourists. At least we have a lot of photos to show for it.

While wasting time before our luau, we decided to walk around Lahaina. Parking was a bit difficult to come by, but driving around made it easy for me to spot the two Uluhani's Hawaiian Shave Ice locations. I noticed one was shaded and made that my target. Even though I have GD, I wasn't going to let it stop me from enjoying dessert. Let me just tell you it was heavenly and worth every minute we had to wait in line. Yum! I might make a trip back just to have another taste. 

Ululani Shave Ice
{Ululani's Hawaiian Shave Ice, Haleakala (leche topped with sweetened condensed cream)}

H wanted us to experience a luau, and I wasn't on board at first. It just seemed too touristy for my liking, but after reading so many reviews I was convinced to at least try it out. We chose the most authentic luau on the island at the Old Lahaina Luau and made our reservations for floor seating a month in advance. The whole day we anticipated great entertainment and decent food, and it surpassed our expectations. Service was excellent, and our view from the floor was one of the best right next to the stage. I loved the food, which was very GD friendly. We were the only ones who went back for seconds at our table, and we're not afraid to be piggies while on vacation. Hehe.


Old Lahaina Luau
{Old Lahaina Luau}

The show was worth the price alone. Everyone did a fantastic job on putting a great show for the crowd, and I love the storytelling aspect of it. I was expecting just act after act of hula dancing, but it was much more than that.

Old Lahaina Luau
{Old Lahaina Luau}



Old Lahaina Luau

After a relaxing day discovering the island and ending it with a luau, we were ready to head back to the condo and get some rest. Our bodies were still trying to adjust to the time difference, and we were still lacking sleep from our day of traveling. One day down and the rest of the week to go!

2 comments:

Marie said...

It looks like you guys had a great time! And good to know about luaus. I totally would have written them off, too!

conventionalbliss said...

SO much fun!! We're starting to plan a trip to Hawaii for next spring, and we're def looking into condos! :)

Post a Comment