Recent Posts

Friday, February 8, 2013

Fun Fact Fridays: Bottle Temperatures

Feeding Elliot

Fun Fact Fridays #8
As a new parent I assumed that all bottles had to be warmed up to the perfect temperature for baby. While I was pregnant my sister gave me great advice about giving the baby a cold bottle instead. Babies get accustomed to what they are given, and if you give them a warm bottle every time, then that's what they will expect. Imagine all the extra work of heating up a bottle being eliminated from the equation. That was enticing so I gave it a try. Since breastfeeding didn't work out for us, I pumped breast milk. In the beginning he drank fresh breast milk. Sometimes it was warm (freshly pumped), and other times it was room temperature. After a month I experimented with a bottle straight out of the fridge. It was a hot day, and maybe he liked the cooling effect of a cold bottle. Maybe he was just really hungry. Whatever it was, it worked! He had a mix of room temperature and cold bottles for the first 6 months and exclusively cold for the remaining 6 months.

Restaurant Outing with Baby

For formula bottles, you should never mix and leave the bottle out in room temperature. Make sure to either mix and serve right away or premix and leave in the fridge until ready to serve (up to 24 hours in the fridge). For breast milk, you can leave fresh milk out in room temperature for up to 4-8 hours (ideally 3-4 hours) or serve refrigerated fresh milk for up to 3-8 days (ideally 72 hours) according to KellyMom.com.

DSC_0693

It was so convenient to never have to warm up a bottle of milk. I could pack milk on the go, and I didn't have to find a way to heat up a bottle when we were out. I could easily take it out of the cooler bag and feed him directly. It was already enough work for me to pump around the clock, and I'm glad warming up milk was one less thing for me to worry about. On the downside, my kid only likes room temperature to cold foods. Give him anything that is warm to hot, and he will have a meltdown. Again, this makes it easy for us on the go with a packed lunch, but it's not so easy when he wants his bowl of hot pho right away.

Nighttime Bottle

P.S. I am not a medical professional. If you have any questions about bottle feeding, please seek advice from your physician. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment