Recent Posts

Monday, April 11, 2011

My Splurge - DwellStudio Comforter

Since H and I moved into our house, we haven't been doing much in the design department.  With so much going on in our lives (*cough* wedding *cough*), we stuck to buying the basics for our home.  Ikea, Target, and Costco were our best buddies, and we didn't want to invest too much money into these starter pieces.  We also had a lot of hand me down good, and some of them are super awesome.  Then there are the others that probably should be replaced (ex. living room couch).

To play it safe, I went with a lot of neutral colors for almost every room in the house. Because we didn't have the money to design each room just yet, I felt better knowing that the neutral pieces could better tie into whatever we decided to go with in the future.  One of those items was our comforter set.


It was actually really difficult to find a comforter that is so neutral.  The stripes added some character to our bedding without being overwhelming.  No interesting pop of color.  No pretty design.  We just went with plain and simple.  At the time I thought that it would be easy to paint the walls whatever color I wanted, and the bedding would always match.  While that is true, it's certainly no fun.

Last night while shopping at Target, I stumbled upon a pretty great sale on DwellStudio comforters.  I can't exactly afford the real legit DwellStudio, but Target makes it more attainable and within reach.  We even purchased Ninja's bedding from Target's DwellStudio line, and it's mighty spiffy and affordable.  At 20% off the regular price, the pretty bedding was super tempting.


Isn't it pretty?  I love the floral design and shades of blue, brown, and gray.  Even the brightness of the white is lovely and such a nice change from the wheat color of our current comforter.  H convinced me to go ahead and buy it for our room.  I convinced myself that I can always return it if I don't like it or if I get too stingy when I get home.  We also used our Target Red Card to save an extra 5% on the bedding.  Woot!


Once we brought it home and spread it on top of our bed, I was a happy camper.  All these design concepts popped in my head, and I was so eager to start redesigning our bedroom.  Even the light blue and white design under the comforter is super pretty. I love the shade of robin's egg blue!  The colors of these photos are kind of on the crappy side.  The lavender/tan looking flower is actually gray.


The stingy side still took over, and I made H put the comforter back in the bag.  I told him I needed more time to think about it.  Well I slept on it, and I'm about 90% sure that it's here to stay.  Actually I might just wash it now and start using it this week. Muahaha!

What do you guys think about painting the room a light shade of gray?  It's all the rage these days on design blogs, but I didn't think I would be one to like it for my own house.  Originally I was going to match the blue in the comforter, but it might just be too much blue in the room.  Gray would match our current furniture nicely and add a more modern flair.  It's definitely growing on me.  At the rate I'm going, I'll be at Lowe's tomorrow looking at paint chips for the room.  Hehe.

4 comments:

Brandi Adams said...

i know this post is old but i have this exact bedding and just moved into a new house. been wanting to paint the walls to match. did you? i was thinking maybe doing one wall a blue to match and the rest gray.

Yin said...

@Brandi: The walls are still waiting to be painted, but I plan on painting them a light gray to match the bedding. I love your idea of painting a blue accent wall. It would look great!

Anonymous said...

Do you know if this bedding is still available? I can't seem to find it.

Yin said...

@Anonymous: Unfortunately Target no longer carries the Dwell Studio comforter. It was discontinued over a year ago.

Post a Comment