Recent Posts

Thursday, April 14, 2011

False Labor & How I Lost 5 lbs

The past 24 hours have been rough on my body, and I'm in the process of recovering. On Wednesday morning at 4am, I woke up to some nasty tummy pains.  I felt nauseated, but I wanted to try to keep it in.  I'm stubborn.  Well that didn't last long because I made about 5 trips to the bathroom between 4am - 6am.  It was no fun.  It was 10x worse than the morning sickness phase of my 2nd trimester.  Every time I tried to drink some water, it would just come out with my stomach acid.  Not fun at all.

Hubby was great, and he stayed up with me the whole time.  We looked up my symptoms, packed our go bag, and timed my contractions.  I still haven't gotten the hang of this whole contraction thing, and I usually can't tell when I'm experiencing them.  On the other hand, H can feel my stomach get tense and slowly release.  What would I do without him?  No worries.  The contractions were very irregular and didn't cause for much concern.  If the Internet did not exist, we probably would have went to the hospital to make sure everything was okay.  In that case, I would have been sent home for being in false labor.

After two hours of suffering, my body was ready to recover and get some rest.  H considered staying home to take care of me, but I assured him that I would be fine as long as I could physically lay down and sleep.  Well by the time I woke up, I was exhausted.  I had an appointment with my doctor, and there was no way I could gain enough energy in a few hours to drive to the office.  Of course H came to the rescue and left work early to bring me to the doctor's office.  I would have preferred to reschedule for the next day, but he wanted me to see the doctor right away.

I wish I could say that my bathroom visits stopped, but I had to make a mad dash for it after eating breakfast.  I drank a small glass of milk (stupid Yin) to recover from my low fasting glucose score, and that made my empty stomach not so happy.  I also tried to drink chicken broth.  Yup that didn't stay inside either.  At this point, I was mentally and physically drained.  I just wanted some carbs.  H let me eat a waffle.  :)

The doctor's visit went well, and she was not concerned about my not so great morning.  It is common for women in the later stage of their pregnancy to revisit morning sickness of the 1st/2nd trimester.  There is less space inside, and my stomach is getting super crowded.  It could also be something I ate the previous night that induced the not so great experience.

Oh and I weighed in at 121 lbs yesterday.  Ladies and gentlemen, that brings my total weight gain to a whopping 12 lbs.  What the fudge?  I lost 5 lbs in a week, and I'm sure those 6 trips to the bathroom had a big role in my extreme weight loss.  The low number upsets me.  My doctor says that I'll be fine, and it's common for people with my diabetic diet.  Yes, I know.  I just want to mentally think I'm normal.  I have a feeling 12 lbs isn't exactly normal for a person of my size.

My goal for today is to nurse myself back to good health.  I'm still having a difficult time keeping food and water down.  Small portions make me really full, and I need to eat tiny meals throughout the day.  I feel so dehydrated, but my body won't accept too much liquid at a time.  Sigh.

There you have it folks.  That's how I had false labor and lost a whopping 5 lbs.  Don't try this at home kids.

3 comments:

Emily Z said...

Hey, even without gestational diabetes, Sunny's sister lost a couple pounds in her last month. Not unheard of. Ninja's just tapping into your reserves because he needs more than you can give him at this point due to the diabetes.

animeniac206 said...

Nice to know this just incase of anything in the future. Hehehe. Good luck! Can't wait to see Ninja soon :)

Brittany said...

Waffle = cure for morning sickness. I'll be sure to tell my sister.

And yes, a lactose intolerant person drinking milk is genius. Definitely won't upset your stomach more or anything like that.

Post a Comment