Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Nursery in Progress - Mattress & Crib

On a happier note (refer to not so happy note in last entry for reference), I did make some progress with baby planning.  I went ahead and purchased a mattress and crib!  This will put my mind at ease for a bit, and I am actually super excited for their arrival at my doorstep.

I briefly mentioned how stressful planning can be because each product requires extensive research.  It can be a real pain, but it is so worth it knowing that H and I can provide Ninja with the safest and best products out there.  

Crib Mattress
While I won't go into the super details of a safe mattress (refer to Our Little Haus & Young House Love's post), I needed to look for one that would be free of the following:
  • Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC): most toxic & environmentally unfriendly plastic
  • Phthalates: can leach out of plastics & associated with reproductive harm, premature birth, asthma, early onset of puberty, cancer, and kidney and liver damage
  • Polyurethane Foam: health risks include possible cardiac arrhythmias, breathlessness, chest discomfort, irritation of mucous membranes, headache, coughing, asthma-like allergic reaction, dizziness, weakness, fatigue, nausea, blurred vision, and reduced pulmonary function.
  • PentaBDE: exposure is linked to numerous adverse health effects, including immune suppression, hormone disruption, learning and memory problems, behavioral changes, and cancer (banned in Europe & California)
Eeks!!  Bad mattress!  This is a bit tricky because there are very limited options out there for those who want to avoid all of those bad chemicals.  We went with an organic mattress, inside and out.  Many were super expensive, around $300.  I found an organic mattress from L.A. Baby at Costco.com for only $179.99, which includes shipping and an organic waterproof cover.  Not too shabby if I say so myself.  If we don't like it, then we can return it our local Costco without any hassle.

Crib
Again, please refer to Our Little Haus & Young House Love for all the details.  They really did a great job on keeping this new mother super informed.
  • Composite Wood & Formaldehyde: composite wood products have added formaldehyde (formaldehyde is naturally occurring in wood but not at such high levels), which is a known carcinogen, and has been linked to an increased risk of asthma and other respiratory diseases
  • Toxic Finish: not safe for baby to ingest (obviously since it is toxic), must be careful 
It can be a tad difficult to figure out if a crib can satisfy the standards of being made of solid wood with non-toxic finish.  You must be able to read it in the fine details and descriptions of the product.  If it doesn't tell you enough, then move on to the next option.  For us, it was easy to choose a crib made by the company Million Dollar Babies.  The company focuses on safety, and their cribs are made of solid wood with non-toxic stains.  Phew.  Some brands under the Million Dollar Babies company include Davinci, Nurseryworks, and Babyletto.

Now deciding on the actual crib was a lot of hard work because not only do we want a safe crib, we also want a good looking one too.  Since we plan on having a few kiddos, it only makes sense to invest in a great crib that will look classic for years to come.  I don't want to look at it in a few years and wish I had chosen something better.  At first we had our hearts set on the Davinci Kalini crib.  Take a look...

regular price $329, found online ranging from $225 - $250

I wasn't exactly sold on the style because it is too fancy for my taste.  It reminds me of a more adult spin on a crib, similar to what you may find in a Pottery Barn catalog.  The style is nice, but it doesn't fit our home very well.  The price was just right and under my $300 budget I had set aside.

Next I took inspiration from Young House Love and fell in love with their daughter's crib, which they purchased online at Walmart.com.  The lines are just right, and the style is a bit more modern but classic.  Their crib is no longer available, but I do love Baby Mod's newest model, Olivia 3-in-1 Baby Crib, priced at $299.88 with free site to store shipping.
 
Source: ohdeeoh.com

I definitely love this crib more than the Davinci Kalani, but do I love the price or the fact that it's from Walmart?  The crib is a good $50 more expensive, and it's from a store that lacks good values.  Wait, is Baby Mod made of solid wood & non-toxic?  Why, yes it is, and the Olivia so happens to be an off branded Babyletto crib made by the Million Dollar Baby parent company.  Want to see a comparison of the almost identical crib from Babyletto (darker stain & more rectangular legs)?


Why not buy from another company with values more aligned with mine?  Well the price tag of $400 is a tad too much for this new family to swallow.  While I understand that each product we buy the little Ninja will be an investment, it's hard to part with an extra $100 that could go towards his organic crib mattress.  The quality is the same.  The product is nearly identical.  Plus it's the style that I'm yearning for, and honestly, I like the Baby Mod version better with the lighter wood stain.  Wouldn't it go nice with this rocker from Urban Outfitters?

originally $289, sale $189.99

Fine.  I'm sold.  I went with the Baby Mod Olivia crib from Walmart, and I will be happy once it is fully assembled in Ninja's nursery.  He is one spoiled little baby who is truly loved by his mommy and daddy.  Only the best for my child.  :)

Today's goal is to make a final decision on paint color and purchase a gallon of Olympic no VOC paint.  Again, only the best for the little one.  I'm just super happy that Lowe's carries an affordable no VOC paint option.  

Research is a lot of hard work.  It's all worth it in the end.  There is a huge sense of satisfaction knowing all the research and thought that goes into every little detail.  

P.S. In the baby world, I think most people want to go crazy and shop at Pottery Barn Kids for baby goods.  Let me just say that their cribs might look very classic and stylish, but they are not exactly super safe.  Cribs I looked at were not made completely of solid wood but a mix of solid wood and wood veneer.  Eeks!  H and I went to the PB outlet this past weekend and saw a crib that was chipped, and we could actually see the layers of stuff that most certainly did not look like solid wood.  Boo, Pottery Barn.  Your products are super expensive, and it's not high quality.  Shame on you!  Plus there is no evidence that the stain is non-toxic.  Internet description only states that it is a high quality stain, which will match the rest of your PB furniture nicely.  Psh.  It's sad when Walmart carries a higher quality product.

0 comments:

Post a Comment