Recent Posts

Monday, February 14, 2011

News Just In - I Have Gestational Diabetes

I am supposed to be running errands now, but I need to vent a little to get some stuff out of my system.  I just got a call from my doctor telling me that I have gestational diabetes (read about my 3 hour test here).  Woot.  Okay so it's not a big deal.  I never had it high on my list of concerns, especially with my family history.  Both of my parents have diabetes, and my mom had gestational diabetes with my younger sister.  My dad has been a trooper controlling his glucose levels, and I have always looked up to him.

So now it's my turn.  It's not a huge concern because it will go away after the baby is born.  The baby will not be overweight like some babies to mothers with gestational diabetes.  Have you seen me?  Seriously, I am not overweight (total weight gain - 15 lbs), and my baby is growing normally.  I was only 6 pounds at birth and so was the hubby.  I have been keeping an eye on Ninja's health by going to my doctor every month, and each time I leave the office being told that everything looks good. 

So what is my concern now?  I can't be a happy pregnant woman who enjoys the indulgences of satisfying cravings with no guilt.  Don't get me wrong.  I actually eat less food now than I did before baby.  I have a super high metabolism and can eat as much as my husband at the dinner table (usually but count me out at buffets) before pregnancy.  With baby, there is just less room inside, and I eat normal sized meals (or slightly smaller).  I even started out my pregnancy with little to no appetite and ate very little in the beginning.  I don't eat the bad stuff (fried foods give me heartburn).  I eat enough of the good stuff.  I only eat the 300 extra calories I need a day as recommended.  Okay I don't even know if I eat the extra calories a day.  I just don't eat literally for 2 grown up sized people.  As for the sugary stuff, I don't eat much of that either.  I enjoy one sweet item a day as a treat to myself (having a bun in the oven is hard work), and that is pretty much it.  I don't drink the sugary stuff and stick with my glass of water (probably drinking double the amount recommended a day). 

I'm mad that I have one extra thing to worry about.  I already have enough on my plate.  Preparing for the first baby is hard work.  There is so much to buy and so much to research into every single product (ie. crib & mattress have to be completely free of all toxins -- organic mattress & a solid wood crib with non-toxic stain).  I still need to learn how to give birth to this baby and how to take care of him once he arrives.  I have no idea!  I am a first time mother, and I am so behind on everything.  I don't need to add gestational diabetes to my list of worries right now.  It is too much for me to handle.  Remember how I need to keep the stress levels down?  Well this diabetes thing is not helping.

I was actually having a decent day.  I had all of these wonderful plans to run errands in the afternoon and cook dinner at night for the hubby.  Now I'm just kind of depressed by everything & mentally exhausted.  The news of my gestational diabetes threw me over the edge, and I can't recover.  Ugh.  This is no fun.  I had planned on making cute Valentine's Day cupcakes from scratch, and now there is no use.  I can't even eat them with my hubby.  I may just forgo all plans and just stay in bed for the rest of the day.  That's usually my solution to a crappy day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment