Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Gestational Diabetes - Update

I have been tracking my blood glucose for almost a week now, and it's still a roller coaster ride.  Everyday I learn something new, and I have been eating healthier overall.  I would like to think I have gained control of my glucose levels, but that could easily change with just one high reading.  Here are a few things I have learned...

While I was concerned about my first prick in the morning fasting results, I now know not to worry so much.  All of my morning readings have been consistent and low.  I can eat my after dinner snack and not be scared of it affecting my first reading.  Phew.  The nurse scared me last week, telling me that I should stick with low complex carb snacks after dinner.  Pshh.

My glucose levels are super high after breakfast.  I learned that I had to eliminate all carbs from my breakfast, or else I would get results of 150 mg/dL or higher.  Eeks!  Reminder - I have to stay 130 or lower.  Instead of drinking my glass of milk with a piece of toast, I have switched to eating 2 eggs.  I get the nutrition I need without the carbs that make my glucose sky rocket.  Why so high in the morning?  I think it has to do with my metabolism.  It hasn't started up just yet, and my body needs to "warm" up for the day.  I can't process the sugar fast enough after my first meal, resulting in very high glucose levels.  No worries.  I still try to drink my glass of milk, but I drink it about 2 hours after breakfast.

I get my lowest readings at lunch.  I'm not sure why, but I like it.

Dinner is a toss up.  The first 3 nights were normal, between 100 mg/dL and 120 mg/dL.  I try to be super careful and eat very little carbs at night, mainly protein and some low carb veggies.  I figured that my metabolism has to slow down a bit around dinner time, and I adjust accordingly.  Now I'm not so sure about that speculation of mine.  I have had a reading of 93 mg/dL and 85 mg/dL for the past two nights.  Yay me!

Snacking.  Maybe this is cheating, but I "splurge" between meals and enjoy snacks that would normally make me feel guilty at an actual meal.  I know that my body is capable of processing the sugars in due time, and it does not affect my after meal results.  What do I eat?  Orange, yogurt, peanuts, apple sauce, and other yummy foods.  I also know this is when I can take a few sips of a milkshake and be okay.  I am slowly learning to spoil myself with little treats if I am doing well.  Last night I ate a Pepperidge Farm Milano cookie, and it was delicious.  Ninja even enjoyed it.

I check nutrition labels like no other.  I have no other choice these days.  It helps me get a better understanding of serving size and how most foods have a ton of carbs in them.  Before I would only check ingredients because that was all that mattered to me at the time.  Give me all the carbs and calories.  Just make sure it's not highly processed and does not contain any high fructose corn syrup.  Now I just focus on serving size and carbs.  It doesn't make me very happy, but I survive. 

How's the pricking?  It's annoying, but I have gotten used to it.  It does hurt, and each prick causes a different pain reaction.  I have to carry my blood glucose meter with me everywhere I go, and that's what my purse is for.  Some days I feel like I have such a horrible medical condition since it requires constant monitoring.

I wish I could say that I'm at the end of the bumpy road and accepting my gestational diabetes.  I have good days when my numbers are low.  As soon as I get one high result, I fall apart.  Seriously, I will sob like a baby because I hate my body's inability to process sugars fast enough.  Luckily my low numbers outnumber my high numbers, and the road isn't too bumpy after all.  I'm still reaching the stage of acceptance.

I'll just keep in mind that this is all for Ninja.  I love the little guy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment