Recent Posts

Friday, February 18, 2011

Gestational Diabetes - Roller Coaster Ride

This gestational diabetes thing is putting me on a roller coaster of emotions.  At first, I was pissed that I had one more thing to worry about.  Then I just accepted it and dreaded all the upcoming additional appointments for the remainder of my pregnancy.  Well yesterday was even more crazy because I came face to face with the fact that life is no fun with a limited carbohydrate diet, no fun at all.  I was starving after dinner because I had already eaten my allotted grams of carbs for the meal.  I still had room for a after dinner snack, but nothing was ever good enough (aka low enough in carbs and sugars).  I felt doomed.

While tossing and turning in my usual manner last night, I was actually thinking about how great breakfast would be.  I couldn't stop thinking about eating food.  Maybe because I was hungry at the time, and I still had many more hours to snooze before wake up time.  It was horrible because all I wanted to do was eat, eat, and eat some more.

So I decided to test out a higher carbohydrate breakfast to see how that would go.  It's my normal breakfast -- full glass of 1% milk with a piece of toasted whole wheat bread.  Sounds simple, right?  Well my after breakfast results were not so great, 20 mg above the good range.  Eeks!  How do I lower that number?  I should probably be drinking half a glass of milk and not a whole (but, but, but... I love my morning glass).  Now I've learned my lesson.  I cannot win.

I'm hoping for the best this weekend.  I have to keep my numbers low and eat meals higher in protein and fiber to make up for the absence of carbs that my body usually needs to keep full.  Sigh.  I have a feeling I will be losing weight in my last 10+ weeks of pregnancy. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment