Recent Posts

Thursday, February 3, 2011

24 and Pregnant

I am 24 years old, married, and pregnant with my first child.  That sounds like a lot for a 24 year old.  I wish I could say that I'm turning 25 very soon, but I still have over 7 months remaining.  Now here's the bummer.  I feel like such a loner.  My friends are slowly getting engaged and married.  Many don't have plans of starting a family very soon, focusing on a career and life as a married couple.  I am alone in my boat.  I can't even relate to my sisters, who are all 9-13 years older than me, married, and without kids.

Am I too young?  I don't think so.  Society tells me otherwise.  Of course I did everything in the right order -- find a man, fall in love, engaged, married, and then made a baby.  In America it is so common to see people finding love later in their lives and getting married in their late twenties and early thirties.  Most couples like to wait a few years and enjoy married life before starting a family.  So does that mean it is normal to start a family when you're in your thirties?  Am I 6 years too early?  Does it help that my husband is turning 28 this year, and he is closer to the thirties end of the spectrum?  Do I really need society's approval?  No. 

Am I ready?  Yes!  I know it may sound silly to those who have other priorities in life.  Mine are different, and I have always wanted to start a family relatively soon after marriage.  I will admit that I thought it would take a year for us to prepare, but sometimes life has a way of sneaking in some surprises.

So I'm 24 and pregnant.  I have a baby who is my constant companion (he doesn't have much of a choice).  Yet, I feel so lonely because I am such a rare kind and have no one to relate to.  Sigh.

2 comments:

animeniac206 said...

I think it's harder when you're old and haven't done any of those things you've mentioned. :(

So you're just fine.

I'm happy to know that you're more accepting of how you are rather than what society deems more accepted.

Yin said...

@animeniac206: I am very fortunate to have done a lot in my life in a short amount of time. I love that I'm "young" and pregnant and know that I'm even capable of being pregnant. I wouldn't trade more years of marriage, vacations, or an established career for what I have now. Marriage will be even more of an adventure with kids in the picture.

Post a Comment