Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Poor Health = Baby??

Remember this post about my failing health?  Let me remind you.

"I have been out of my normal routine for a couple days now, and I'm ready for my body to fully recover. Unfortunately, I'm sitting here waiting for my symptoms to go away.  It's difficult to describe exactly what is wrong with me because I'm not exactly sure.  My body has been rejecting me as of late.  I grow easily tired from doing the simplest of tasks (eating, working, putting laundry away).  It feels like chronic fatigue.  I'm sensitive to light, sounds, and odors.  My stomach will start to cause me pain, and then it temporarily stops.  Then my head decides to take its turn and cause more pain.  Dizziness occasionally takes over.  Then my chest starts to pound, and I cannot help but want to cry from this confusion.  What is my body trying to tell me?  I do not know.  I feel like I have no control.

Sigh." 


The entry was posted on August 23rd, after a week of feeling pretty miserable.  I was clueless as to why my body was rejecting me.  It happened all of a sudden, and my symptoms kept bothering me.  I was also very stubborn and refused to go to the doctor right away.  I figured that I would just magically get better in a few days.  Well that didn't happen.  Instead I began to feel even worse about a week later, incapable of even functioning to go to work.  Something was definitely wrong.  I just couldn't figure it out.

So I go to my doctor's office with a list of my symptoms, which were as follows: 
  • fatigue, at times extreme
  • stomach pains
  • chest pains
  • headaches
  • dizziness
  • difficulty breathing
  • sensitivity to light 
*started on Wednesday, 8/18

My doctor notices that my heartbeat is irregular, and that is a cause for concern.  I am sent for a series of tests to see what's going on with my heart.  Hmm.  Maybe those chest pains were more serious than my other symptoms.  My first test was a Persantine Cardiolite Stress Test, which is a tad different from your typical stress test.  Instead of testing my heart under the conditions of running on a treadmill, I was injected with a radioactive substance to mimic the conditions of running.

Now here's the kicker... I cannot take this test if I am pregnant.  Well I am little late, but that's very normal for me.  My cycle varies from month to month.  Never had it occurred to me that I was pregnant or even possibly pregnant.  I looked back on the previous month, and it was one hectic month for H and me.  We had the stress of family illness, and my sister had moved in with us midway through the month.  There was no way that I could be pregnant.  So I signed the piece of paper stating that I was not pregnant, and then I had proceeded with the test.

Fast forward to the next day, and H and I wonder if there is a possibility that I am pregnant.  So I take my first ever pregnancy test (peeing on a stick is very awkward), and I am mentally prepared to see only one pink line.  At first, I did see one pink line, and I am convinced that I'm not pregnant.  Phew.  I was worried for a moment.  Wait, wait, wait for it.  The second line appears a minute later.  Then I go into the biggest Yin freak out moment of my life.  I cry uncontrollably, not out of happiness, but out of fear that I just killed my child.  I can't help but to instantly worry about the little guy inside of me and how I put his life in danger just the day before.  Hubby tries his very best to calm me down, but I can't stop crying.  Poor H.

Somehow I got myself together, and we research everything possible online to see what kind of effect the test could have had on my little baby, the one that I just discovered existed inside of me 30 minutes ago.  The result?  Well there isn't much out there specifically about radiation exposure from the Persantine Cardiolite Stress Test.  This is possibly the first time that the internet has failed me.  H did find an article about radiation exposure during pregnancy, which helped me calm down quite a bit.

Now it's time for us to really think back.  How could we have conceived a baby in the last month?  Hmm... I can't even remember the first day of my last menstrual cycle (btw, I still can't remember to this day).  I can barely even narrow it down to a certain week.  I just remember that I was later than usual, and I had a pretty long cycle the month before.  Then we think of the times we... you know.  Yup, it makes no sense.  Gahhh.  *cues frustration*  Did I just get a false positive on my pee stick?  Very unlikely.

Then I examine my symptoms.  Yup, all of them pointed to pregnancy symptoms (minus the heart thing).  I neglected to mention (alert -- TMI ahead) that my breasts were sore and bigger than usual.  Bingo!  Yup everything fit right in.  So why didn't I know that all of my symptoms pointed to pregnancy?  Well I've never been pregnant before.  I also associate pregnancy with frequent trips to the bathroom and morning sickness, both symptoms which would come in the following weeks.

Folks, that is my story.  I was pregnant and didn't even know it.  It took me a few weeks to let everything sink in and realize that there is a little baby inside of me.  My moment of fear later turned into extreme happiness.  :)

P.S. My series of heart tests concluded that I have PVC (Premature Ventricular Contractions), and I'm doing just fine.  Occasionally I'll have chest pains, and I know how to handle the pain (relax and/or rest).  I am in good health, and my heart condition is just part of my normal life now.


Yes, I was already pregnant on my 24th birthday.  I was also hooked up to a holter monitor to check out those irregular heartbeats.  Luckily, mommy & baby are health and safe from danger.  Yay!!

1 comments:

Hung said...

Ninja!

Post a Comment