Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Back from Vacation

The hubby and I are back from vacation, and we're getting back to our normal routine.  We had a blast and cannot wait until the next time we can get away again.  It is so nice to be able to get away and spend one on one time with your best friend.  I only have a few photos from our trip because we were too busy having fun.  Enjoy!

We stayed at the Roxbury Hotel in Roxbury, NY for our relax-acation.  I highly recommend the hotel.  Customer service is really out of this world, and we felt really welcomed.  We had frequent interactions with the owner.  He even knew who we were as soon as we stepped out of the car.  It must be our very Asian names and very Asian looks.  House keeping is also super friendly, and boy are they efficient.  We left the room for 15 minutes to grab some breakfast and came back to a pristine room.  The carpet was vacuumed, the bed was made, towels were refreshed, and even our two mugs of hot chocolate that we left in the sink were cleaned for us.  Like I said before, this is amazing customer service.  The funky decor is also a bonus, and each room is designed differently.  H and I had a difficult time deciding on which room to stay in because there are so many cool designs to choose from. 

king sized bed & glimpse of the kitchenette

 side view of kitchenette

sink, cabinets, counter top

I love having the amenities of a tiny kitchen in our room.  We need the flexibility to bring our own food, and the kitchenette was perfect.  The mini refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker were more than enough for us to get by through the long weekend.  We made sure to bring popcorn, hot chocolate, and many snacks for watching movies in bed.  They have an extensive collection of DVDs, which we definitely took advantage of.  H and I watched It Happened One Night, The Sound of Music, and Casablanca during our stay.    

pretty green bathroom

Oddly enough, I was pretty inspired by their bathroom.  I love the funky, bright green on the walls and how it integrated with the titles and shower curtain (not pictured).  The mirror above the sink is a DIY inspiration, and I'm pretty sure I can replicate the same for our home bathroom.  Yipee!!

another view of the bed

 the lovely green door

The rooms have outdoor access, which I found to be refreshing.  The higher altitude and warmer than usual rooms (I'm used to a super cold house), made it difficult for me to breathe at times.  It was easy to open the door and get some fresh air.  Plus it also made unloading and loading the car much easier.  We didn't have to be embarrassed by bringing our cooler or my boat pillow.  

view of the stream next to our hotel

 posing on the small bridge in front of our hotel

 a super lame photo taken from my camera of H

We were very fortunate to come into town to see a nice blanket of snow on the ground.  Saturday was warm and sunny for our entertaining needs.  We walked around town and just took our time to enjoy our surroundings.  The Roxbury Hotel is located in the Catskill Mountains, and it is a major skiing attraction.  While we were not there for the skiing, it is quite popular.  We saw plenty of people in their ski jackets with their lift tickets attached.

 so busy having fun that we almost forgot to take a photo of us together

So what did we do all weekend?  Relax of course!!  We had a couple's massage, which was a first for both of us.  H is just accustomed to my unprofessional amateur massages.  The massage was worth every penny!  It came at the perfect time, just as I was recovering from my aches and pains from earlier in the week.  My muscles were very thankful.  I recommend for everyone to at least have one professional massage.  It feels soooo good.  Hehe.

We also went to Peekamoose Restaurant, which was about 30 minutes away from our hotel.  Since we were pretty much in the middle of no where, I didn't expect fine dining to be on our menu.  The restaurant was highly recommended by our hotel, and we had a reservation right after our couple's massage.  Let me just say that I was too busy eating and enjoying time with my husband to take any pictures.  We choose to go with the chef's tasting menu, and boy did we have a tasteful food adventure.  The chef was able to make accommodations for me, and the food was oh so delicious.  The most memorable parts of the meal were the bread (Who says that?  Well I do b/c it was soooo yummy), beet tartare, butternut squash soup, and seared scallops.  Oh how did they know that I absolutely love scallops?  The staff was very attentive, and I'm pretty sure this was the best service I've had in a very long time, especially for a fine dining establishment.  The atmosphere and yummy food made for the perfect night, and H and I left with a smile on our face and very happy, full tummies.

At first I didn't think that we would be back here again.  This small vacation was meant to be a get away, and we decided everything last minute.  We're not the snow boarding/skiing adventurous types.  The drive is far, and the weather is much colder (at least that's what we thought, but we came home to wind chills that made it feel so much warmer up north).  H and I are usually the food types.  We go to where the yummy food calls, and that's usually major cities.  I am happy to report that we will most likely come back again.  We just had the best time and really enjoyed our relax-acation.

So vacation is now over, and Christmas is right around the corner.  It's time to get back on track and return to our normal lives.  No worries.  I'm already planning our next vacation in my head.  Muahahaha!  We have credit with Southwest that we paid for almost 6 months ago, and we only have a year to use it.  That sounds like another adventure for H and I!  Hehe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment