Recent Posts

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Looking Back on the Past Year: Finding New Inspiration

Previously I...
  • lost confidence, hope, and motivation
  • gave up and quit job searching
  • was an emotional wreck
October was a busy month for Hubby. He spent it studying for his certification exam, and there were many long nights for us. There was this one night in particular where we stayed up to probably 5 or 6 AM. We both drank a big cup of coffee to keep us up. He was studying. I was crafting. It made me happy. I made felt flowers all night long, and it made me feel so warm and satisfied inside. I spent hours trying new techniques, googling everything about felt flowers. I was addicted. I wonder if Hubby knew that our one trip to Michael's for felt ($2 worth of it) would turn into multiple trips to craft stores throughout the past year.

the beginning of my craft obsession - pretty felt flowers

I love blogging. It's really what I do best, both the reading and the writing. I've mentioned multiple times how much it is incorporated into my life and makes me the person who I am today. Well I think it also saved me from one of the biggest lows in my life. I'm not sure how it started exactly. I was probably led from one site to another, and before you know it I'm subscribed to 32 craft blogs. I get inspiration in my Google Reader daily, and it fuels my craft obsession. I found myself at the craft store almost every week, buying small, cheap supplies since my budget was limited. I would skip a sale on clothes to spend it on crafts. It was probably an unhealthy obsession.

Is it sushi or a fish?

gahhh... the sushi roll turned into a fish!

While I was emotionally probably not so stable, I found my outlet through crafting. I tried to focus less on my unemployment status and focus my energy on doing something I loved. I was hooked. I spent many late nights up by myself. I can't seem to fall asleep when I have a lot on my mind, and being out of a job gave me a lot of things to think about. I just didn't want to. So I would craft to my heart's delight until I could no longer keep my eyes open.

Christmas was around the corner. I was still trying to recover from Thanksgiving and all the questions asked about my lack of a job. Instead of crying every night, I worked on making the best Christmas presents ever. Lack of income makes a girl like me go into super craft mode. I spent hours slaving over each present. It was truly satisfying to see the end result.

spending hours crafting into the early morning hours and injuring myself occasionally

Crafting too much results in the messiest room ever.. I definitely need my own craft room. On the floor you can see the cardboard I used to make magnetic photo frames. I also used pretty scrapbook paper, felt, and free magnets to complete the project.

I made each and every one of those kusudama balls (14+) using recycled paper, glue, and markers. Paper cutter to the rescue!

Hubby and I got each family a set of photo coasters from Michael's (using the 50% off coupons every week), and I selected 3-4 photos for each set. I was too cheap to buy gift bags. I used recycled shopping bags and wrapped them in Costco wrapping paper.

All good things must come to an end, right? Those 3-4 months were great. I crafted like no other, but then my lack of employment situation got worse. My emotions took over me. I dug myself into a huge hole, and I didn't want to come out. I lacked motivation to look for a job, and it also took all of the energy I had left in my body. As much as I wanted to push myself, I just would not budge. It was weird. I desperately wanted to get back into my craft mode, but I was stiff. What was happening to me...?

Hubby did in fact pass his exam with flying colors! I was so proud of him, and we celebrated with lunch at Sonic. Yumm!

Another felt flower? Yes, I was obsessed.

It's funny how this one origami flower jump started my kusudama obsession

Previously:
Looking Back on the Past Year: The Beginning
Looking Back on the Past Year: Finding Work
Looking Back on the Past Year: I Give Up

0 comments:

Post a Comment